Biomass Low cost Advanced Zero Emission
small-to-medium scale integrated gasifier fuel cell
combined heat and power plant
The CHP system will integrate technologies with proven performance and reliability: bubbling fluidised bed gasification, hot gas cleaning and conditioning, industrialised solide oxide fuel cells and off-gas recirculation.The project is in line with the SET-Plan Key Action 8 on renewable fuels and bioenergy and it will contribute to feed the innovation cycle, laying the basis for the next generation of biomass technologies in the EU.
Clean energy from small and medium- scale decentralized systems
- The BLAZE CHP system will be applicable to capacities ranging from 25 kWe up to 0.1-5MWe.
- The technology will be able to operate with high efficiency at partial loads
- The system will represent a solution for the balancing of local grids and will contribute to providing flexibility to the energy system.
The thermal and chemical integration of the gasifier with the solid oxide fuel cell will allow to achieve lower capital and installation costs than other biomass technologies in the same capacity range.
The bubbling fluidized bed gasifier will be able to use a large variety of biomass types including many low-cost residues from forestry, agriculture and organic waste, thus keeping the operational costs low.
High energy efficiency – zero emissions
- The system will be capable of achieve a net electric efficiency up to 50% and overall combined heat and power efficiency up to 90%.
- The CO2 balance of the system will be neutral, and the flue gas emissions will be equal to zero or negligible
Technological progress, perspective of development, operation in ON-Grid and OFF-Grid modes Residual biomass is undoubtedly a resource that can be used for energy purposes. Its proper use can meet sustainability and environmental impact criteria as well as contribute...
The workshop “Paving the way towards clean energy and fuels in Europe” took place on Wednesday, 29th May 2019, in the framework of the 27th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition (EUBCE 2019) in Lisbon. The event was an initiative of the European...
Marconi University, as project coordinator, hosted the partners of BLAZE project (Horizon 2020) the 21 and 22 of March 2019 for the project kick-off meeting. Daniel Maravel of the Innovation and Networks Executive Agency (INEA) of the EU Commission also participated...